Thursday, October 13, 2005

If I only had my camera!

Today is one of those days that I wished I had my computer fixed and my digital camera with me. I went out with the real estate agent furniture shopping for our new place. Jonny's company provides us with fully furnished apartments because they do not pay shipping for all of our things to come with us on assignment. The place we are moving in has pretty bad looking furniture, so the landlord agreed for us to buy new furniture for the living room, dining room, master bedroom, and new mattresses throughout. I had asked the agent for a budget, which she refused to give me, so I just picked out a few thing that I liked.

I have to say that I am not a big fan of Chinese furniture style. There is a lot of pleather couches and love seats in shades of peach and cream, white lacquered, high gloss tables with faux jade stones in the back of the chairs, beds with plushly cushioned head boards, coffee tables with aquariums of fish in the bottom, and the list goes on. I was able to find some furniture that would pass. It is very contemporary and kind of Ikeaish. While we were shopping in the store the real estate agent decided to take a 1/2 hour nap on the table we were going to purchase while Joseph, my new friend Sophie and I tried to figure out how much everything was going to be. They totaled the furniture up, gave us a discount, and threw in a free mattress. I went and woke up our agent and gave her the total. She had the nerve to tell me it was too high!

I was really pissed off to say it mildly. I just spent the afternoon away from my kids to go furniture shopping with someone who was useless. I called our representative and asked them to have a talk with the other agent. I felt like today was a colossal waste of my time and that the thought of looking at another turquoise pleather couch with Dalmatian print cushions would turn my stomach! I will let you know the outcome.

My Chengdu of the day is do bring your own furniture if you have a choice in the matter.

My Chengdon't is don't be surprised if you see a Chinese person taking a nap on the job. (At home you might get fired, here it is normal and acceptable.)

3 comments:

Kelly S said...

Why didn't she give you a budget to begin with? Geez.

Anonymous said...

hows the local ebay? maybe there is some americans or europeans moving back home and selling some stuff?

VeryApeAZ said...

I have been known to sit in the middle of department store floors because I was tired from shopping. Fortunately, my friends and family have learned from this and never ask me to go shopping with them. :-P