Thursday, December 28, 2006

Snorkeling on Boxing Day

I never thought I would go snorkeling in my life much less on Boxing Day. Actually, I never thought I would celebrate Boxing Day, but since my dear husband celebrates the holiday, who am I to argue with someone who has recognized this holiday their entire life.

We were able to get a babysitter for the day and go on a snorkeling trip to a little island called Koh Haa. We took a 45 minute speedboat trip to Koh Haa which was extremely bumpy. I have to say I was quite sea sick, but only when the boat stopped to drop off the scuba divers.

koh_haa_1_1

Here is the boat pulling up to the rock the scuba divers were going to explore.

koh_haa_2

The beautiful waters of Koh Haa.

koh_haa_beach_1

Here is the lagoon and small beach where we spent the day.

The only time I had ever tried to snorkel was in a swimming pool during my life guarding course in college. I have to say that snorkeling is quite a bit of work, but it was an amazing adventure. After I got the hang of being able to breathe under water it was like you were in the "Finding Nemo" movie. I saw large Blue Starfish, Blue Tang (Dorey from Nemo), Moorish Idol (Gill from Nemo), Sea Cucumbers, Coral Reefs, Sea Snakes and lots of Jellyfish. There were also lots of other fish, but I didn't know there names. The weather has not been the best for the sea as the water is very bumpy, so visibility under water wasn't as good as it could have been due to the sand being stirred up by the current. The water was otherwise clear and beautifully green. I definitely will try snorkeling again, but I don't think I will take it much further. Jonny on the other hand is gung ho to take up scuba diving.

After we got back we were able to take a quick nap as Angus had just laid down and Gemma was not yet asleep. The kids were ready for the pool as soon as they woke up and we all went out for a swim.

gemma_jonny_angus_pool_1

Gemma, Jonny and Angus in the pool.

Angus has been swimming mad. He is normally crazy on land, but in the water he is just nuts! Here is a little snipped of his new swimming style!

sunset_1

We are fortunate to be staying at a resort that faces the west, so every night we have been able to see gorgeous pink sunsets like this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the video of Angus! What a cutie!
It looks awesome there!