Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Marine Bar

Last night we were invited to happy hour at the home of 5 U.S. Marines stationed in Chengdu working for the U.S. consulate. We happily accepted because you know me, Miss Social Butterfly. We took the kids and also went with the other Intel family we know. The Marines live in a huge house in one of the expat compounds and have put a bar in their house equipped with foozeball, darts and a pool table. We were happy to walk in and found quite a few Americans. Most everyone either worked for Gemma's school, the U.S. consulate, or Jonny's company. The other awesome thing was that they had a big screen TV and put in Monsters Inc. for the kids. I talked to the lone female Marine and she said that this was the biggest turnout that they have had. We had a great time and plan on making this a weekly family outing.

Yesterday I found out my computer would take another 2,600 RMB ($325) to fix. If they don't fix it, then I don't have to pay for it, but I am really in desperate need of my own PC. I should get it back next week. The hard thing about the whole situation is that I have been relying on people to translate to the computer guy, who doesn't speak a lick of English. It is kind of like the telephone game, you tell your translator on thing and you have to just wonder if they are really relaying the entire message to him. We will see as of next Friday.

On the home front, we have not found a home. We looked at two more today and still no cigar. We are really getting frustrated with the real estate agents here as the business seems to be very cut throat. Rent prices are also all over the yard here. There is no consistency at all. We hope that we will go out again on Monday, but we can't even get anyone to call us back. Very frustrating!

My Chengdu is do visit the Marine Bar.

My Chengdon't is don't expect the Chinese to deal in real estate like they do in the U.S.

No comments: